3 Tips to Increase your Leasing Volume in Fernley NV
Learn some tip sand tricks to get your Fernley rental properties leased quickly including what changes and improvements you can make to attract more interest.
Fernley, Nevada’s prime rental season is between the months of April and September.
Although properties do rent throughout the slower winter months, it is best to market your rental property during the prime months to get the highest return on your investment.
“SmartMove data shows that landlords receive a peak number of rental applications in the summer, which suggests that they are able to charge higher rent due to increased demand. Specifically, landlords receive a 51% increase of applications in summer vs. winter. If you want to know how to take advantage of the peak rental season, then this guide will give you insights on the best time to rent, when to charge a higher rent, and the best times to list your property online.” – Source MySmartMove
More desirable rental properties rent faster in Fernley, NV!
Your property’s curb appeal is important. When a prospective tenant pulls up to the home, you want their first impression to be a good one. It is hard for a potential tenant to imagine the current condition of the home being better than it is when they tour it, so make sure everything is the best it can be. You want to leave a powerful impression on them so they will love your home and remember it among all the properties they look at.
1. Quick updates you can do to improve Fernley, NV property curb appeal
- Apply a fresh coat of paint inside
- Weed and plant as needed to clean up the landscaping
- Update light fixtures
- Repair or replace flooring
- Afresh coat of paint on the front door
- Clean or paint the mailbox
- Add a new layer of mulch in flower beds
- Trim hedges
- Clean the kitchen sink disposal. Note you can run a vinegar/baking soda solution in it to get rid of any odors that might becoming from the disposal.
- Repair or replace damaged window screens
- Clear dead plants or shrubs
- Trim trees if needed.
- Clean or replace blinds as needed.
- Check the driveway and walkways for cracks. Remove any weeds growing and reseal them.
- Power wash the home or driveway
- Wash the walls if you aren’t going to paint. This can help eliminate odors and make the house smell fresh.
2. Prepare the home to look its best on the day of the showing
Does your home have a musty smell? If you painted the interior, it might have that new paint smell. If you still think it smells musty because it has been closed up for some time, you can:
- Open the windows and air it out.
- Run the air conditioner. Stale air can make a home feel stuffy.
- Run an air purifier with a HEPA filter to remove odors, dust, and impurities.
- An open container of baking soda can help absorb musty smells.
Let the sunshine in. You don’t want to show a dark house. Make sure the blinds are open to make it bright and inviting.
A desirable property will allow you to have more applicants quickly.
Making a few changes to improve your Fernley rental property doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. However, not doing them can cost you months of the property sitting vacant. Those minor changes and attention to detail can make a significant difference in renting the property in a timely matter.
The property should be in the condition you expect it to be returned in
The condition of the property sets the bar for the expectations you have for the tenant to keep it that way. If the property looks poorly maintained, the tenant is going to assume that is the level they are expected to keep it at. If there is trash in the yard, they will assume this is acceptable. For this reason, it is important to offer the property to the tenant in the condition that you expect to get it back in.
3. Preventive maintenance check
Before your Fernley property management company lists your property, you will want to check the things that are most likely to break in the rental property. You have taken care of how the house looks, but equally important is that everything works.
This includes making sure the major systems of the home are in good working condition as well as regular maintenance items are taken care of:
- Test smoke alarms and install new batteries
- Have the HVAC system regularly serviced and working properly
- Inspect the roof for any damage or leaks.
- Clean the dryer vent
- Clean the fireplace and have the chimney swept
- Check that all plumbing is working. Test all the facets, toilets, and showers.
- Check the irrigation box for leaks. Can’t find it? It is common for them to be buried.
- Make sure your fence is in good condition and check that all the posts are secure. Those Sierra Nevada winds can easily gust to 70 mph and higher and cause damage to sections of fence.
- Clean the gutters
- Replace the air filters
Take care of any maintenance repairs in your property before showing the property. An ounce of prevention can help you avoid large issues down the road. The combination of an attractive, rent-ready property and an experienced Fernley property management company should help you find a quality tenant quicker and reduce the time it is vacant.
Looking for a Fernley property manager for your rental home?
Mynd Property Management has a team of local professionals that leverage real-time data to consistently better their services, providing owners with seamless management experience. If you are interested in investing in the Fernley NV area or need a property management, contact us today about Mynd’s full-service, results-oriented property management in Fernley.
Attract High-Quality Tenants with New, Low-Cost Appliances
Get the new appliances that tenants love, without breaking the bank. Learn about the affordable appliances to consider at your rental property today!
Why Should I Purchase a Rental Property in Harrisburg, NC
Thinking about investing in Harrisburg, NC? Learn why it is an attractive area for investors and how to accurately set your rent. Discover how a Harrisburg property manager can be an asset in your investment business.