5 Tips to Quickly Fill Your Vacant Temecula, CA Rental Property
Thinking about owning a rental property in Temecula, CA? Already own a property in the greater San Diego area? We are here to help ensure your investment is operating efficiently and you are managing the unit effectively. Learn more about how to quickly fill vacancies in your rental properties as well as the local laws and regulations applicable to homes in the Temecula, CA area.
Having a vacant property can be a stressful time for any rental property owner. Learn our top tips for getting your Temecula rental property leased quickly to the right tenant.
1) Have your home inspected
Your experienced Temecula property manager can provide some guidance to efficiently get the property ready to rent.
- Is there anything you need to bring it up to code?
- Are there any quick changes you can make so the property attracts more interest?
2) Make sure the house is clean and ready to show
If your home has a musty, closed-in smell, you want to take some steps to make the home smell fresh. A new coat of paint and clean carpets can make the home more inviting.
- Open the windows and air it out.
- Run the air conditioner. Stale air can make a home feel stuffy.
- Run an air purifier with a HEPA filter to remove odors, dust, and impurities.
- An open container of baking soda can help absorb musty smells.
3) Curb Appeal matters. Make the first impression count
Quick updates you can do to improve curb appeal:
- Clean the kitchen sink disposal. Note you can run a vinegar/baking soda solution in it to get rid of any odors that might be coming from the disposal.
- Repair or replace damaged window screens
- Clear dead plants or shrubs
- Trim trees if needed.
- Clean or replace blinds as needed.
- Check the driveway and walkways for cracks. Remove any weeds growing and reseal them.
- Power wash the home or driveway
- Wash the walls if you are not going to paint. This can help eliminate odors and make the house smell fresh.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint inside
- Weed and plant as needed to clean up the landscaping
- Update light fixtures
- Repair or replace flooring
- A fresh coat of paint on the front door
- Clean or paint the mailbox
- Add a new layer of mulch in flower beds
- Trim hedges
4) Price it to rent fast
Don’t assume that the rent you charged in the past is still accurate. Markets change and rent rates fluctuate. To be competitive in Temecula, CA, your rent rate needs to match what is available in your area today. Pay attention to your market to know how much you can rent your home for. Your property manager will be able to give you a rental analysis that shows a rent range you can expect to receive.
5) Highlight what renters are looking for.
- Good school districts
- Near tourist attractions
- Convenient to shopping
- Easy access to freeways to San Diego or Los Angeles
- Close to wineries
You might have potential tenants coming from out of state that aren’t familiar with the Temecula, CA area, so highlight the benefits of your location and point out the convenience of your property.
Learning About Rental Property Laws and Regulations in Temecula, CA
When you own a rental property in Temecula, CA, how do you know all the laws and regulations that govern you as a landlord and protect the tenants? Where can you find these laws and regulations?
Know the laws and regulations that apply to landlords
Are you aware of changes to the laws and regulations that apply to landlords specifically in the Temecula, CA area? You need to be.
For example, AB 1482 was a law that was introduced earlier this year that created state-wide rent control along with several other little laws that they didn’t talk about, yet they are all being enforced. The rent control law has gone through multiple changes, and it is up to you to go discover them, keep up with any changes, and most importantly know how they affect you and your resident.
No one wants to discover they have broken a law by receiving a notice that you have violated the federal Fair Housing law. You must stay up to date on the changes in the law to avoid such a situation.
Where can you find laws and regulations that affect landlords?
- Local city laws – check Temecula city websites for local laws that apply.
- State laws – Check state websites for state-wide laws and property code updates.
- Federal laws – Stay up to date on federal Fair Housing laws, Discrimination laws, Fair Credit Reporting Act, IRS laws, etc.
There are a lot of laws to comply with, and you want to make sure you are following them all. Are you qualified to even figure out these regulations by reading these yourself?
If you aren’t interested in spending your spare time reading through websites for law changes, you may want to consider hiring a staff member to do this research for you or hire an experienced property management company in Temecula.
Making sure you have the proper business model and are operating within the confines of the law (local, state, and federal) is key to your success as a real estate investor. As a rental property owner, you should be doing everything you can to make sure your asset is protected, your tenants are safe, and you are complying with the laws.
Looking for a property manager in Temecula?
At Mynd property management, our professional Temecula property management services can take this headache away from you. We can give you a comprehensive review of your property, and if you want to add more properties to your portfolio, we can give you advice based on your strategy and goals. We are here to help you develop a strategy for success and make sure your property is operating correctly within the confines of the law. Contact us today for more information.
Why Should I Purchase a Rental Property in Harrisburg, NC
Thinking about investing in Harrisburg, NC? Learn why it is an attractive area for investors and how to accurately set your rent. Discover how a Harrisburg property manager can be an asset in your investment business.
Why Should I Purchase a Rental Property in Deltona, FL
Is Deltona, FL a good fit for your strategy as an investor? Learn what data to look at and how a Deltona property manager can help you make smart investment decisions.
Why Should I Purchase a Rental Property in Concord, NC
If you are considering investing in Concord, NC, first confirm that the demographics, home prices, and rental return fit your rental property investment plan. Learn how setting your rent rate correctly and finding an experienced Concord property manager can improve your success as an investor.