Real Estate Investing in Charlotte, NC
Why Invest in Charlotte Real Estate?
Known for its financial services and distribution, Charlotte is home to 12 Fortune 500 companies and 15 Fortune 1000 companies. Bank of America, Lowe’s and Duke Energy are a few located here. Charlotte draws in close to 100,000 new people every year, making it the largest metropolitan area between Atlanta and Washington, D.C.
With a projected 23.7% increase in population from 2014-2025, the area will soon hold a total of 2.8 million people. The region is expected to be home to 14 Fortune 500 companies by 2025. The expansion of technology companies and low cost of living leaves Charlotte as solid buy for investors and is ranked #6 for lowest cost of living, compared to salary, out of all the tech hubs in the U.S.
Expected growth rate of each individual sector from 2015 to 2025:
- 43% in Health Care and Social Services
- 28% in Finance & Insurance
- 25% in Professional & Technical Services
Charlotte Real Estate Market Highlights
- 4th best real estate market in the U.S. in 2019, with some of the top public school systems in the country
- Projected to be home to 14 Fortune 500 companies by 2025
- Charlotte’s population increased by 15.9% between 2010 and 2018, which made it the 7th fastest-growing large metro
- Corporate Fortune 500 headquarters: Bank of America, Lowe’s, Duke Energy, Nucor, BB&T Corporation, Sonic Automotive, VF
- Employment increased by 17.4% over the past five years
- Jobs are expected to grow by 25% from 2015 to 2025
- Ranked #6 for the lowest cost of living out of the United States tech hubs
- More than 100 distribution centers and more than 300 trucking companies
- Charlotte is now ranked the 4th best real estate market in the US for 2019 (Forbes)
Northwest Charlotte Real Estate Market Highlights
The northwest is appealing to those interested in outdoor activities such as whitewater rafting, hiking, and camping. Lake Norman, a popular site for outdoor activities, is close to Huntersville, which is one of the top 5 highest performing school areas that have affordable housing. The northwest also has a newly constructed $600 million dollar casino.
- U.S National Whitewater Center - outdoor recreational center and training facility for whitewater rafting, kayaking, hiking, rock climbing
- King’s Mountain Catawba Casino - $600 million dollar casino
- Lake Norman - Destination lake with downtown restaurants, malls
- 40 minutes to downtown & airport
- Lake Norman State Park – hiking, mountain biking, and camping
Northeast Charlotte Real Estate Market Highlights
The newly developed Blue Line Light Rail Extension provides alternative transportation for those in the area. Exponential economic growth expected from the project making the Northeast one of the best long-term places to invest. The area also includes UNC Charlotte and IBM Innovation Center. The best school district in the northeast is Mooresville, ranked #4 in all of Charlotte. Cabarrus County is projected to have a 24% increase in population by 2025, which is the 2nd largest population increase in all of the Charlotte counties.
- the University of North Carolina at Charlotte - 29,000 students
- Blue Line Light Rail extension - goes from UNC Charlotte to uptown, generating around $250 million in revenue and creating 7,000 jobs
- Charlotte Motor Speedway - Nascar track
- Concord Mills - mall with outlet store, movies
- Belgate Shopping Center
- PNC Music Pavilion – outdoor concert venue
Southwest Charlotte Real Estate Market Highlights
Having the Charlotte Douglas International Airport and best public schools in Charlotte, the southwest includes 3 of the top 5 suburbs based on performance of schools nearby. The top suburbs in Charlotte are (#1) Tega Cay suburbs, (#2) Fort Mill suburbs, and (#5) Lake Wylie suburbs. Additionally, a popular location within Charlotte is the Ballantyne zip code (28277), which is ranked as one of the top 5 areas with affordable housing next to great-performing schools. However, not everyone can afford to live next to Lake Wylie. On top of the best schools in Charlotte, the southwest is a short commute to watch NFL, NBA and NHL games downtown.
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport- 8th busiest airport in the U.S.
- Includes the Spectrum Center - NBA Charlotte Hornets, NHL Charlotte Bobcats, and concerts
- Bank of America stadium - home to the NFL Carolina Panthers
- Carowinds Theme Park - for kids
- Belgate Shopping Center
- Home to the Catawba Indian Reservation Film Studio - $350 million dollar project that includes stage, hotel, film school, and office space just south of Charlotte
- Lake Wylie - premier area that’s more upscale than Lake Norman
- Stonewall Street - busiest street in uptown Charlotte, that has Stonewall Station for train travel, Whole Foods, and newly built hotels
- Charlotte Premium Outlets - shopping mall
Southeast Charlotte Real Estate Market Highlights
Union County public schools ranked #4 in all of North Carolina; there is a predicted increase of population of 23% by 2025 in the county. Both the 28270 and 28105 (Matthews) are ranked as two of the most affordable housing areas with great local schools. As a whole the area is well priced and located next to great-performing schools. But another upside to the southeast is the short commute to the busy Stonewall Street, which has Stonewall Station, Whole Foods, and newly built hotels.
- Queens University of Charlotte - D2 private liberal arts
- Levine Museum of the New South - historical site of post-Civil War for those interested in how North Carolina’s society has been shaped into what it is today
- Nascar Hall of Fame - exhibits and films downtown
For more information refer to our Knowledge Center and visit our Charlotte, NC Property Management page for local landlord tips and information. Our team has vast knowledge and experience in local Charlotte, NC property management and can help you to have a better investment experience. We educate on topics in the Charlotte, NC area ranging from repairs and maintenance, leasing, local laws and regulations and more!
We look forward to furthering your rental property education.
Real Estate Investing in Houston, TX
Why invest in Houston? Population growth, high education levels, and great hospitals make it a great opportunity.
Why Should I Purchase a Rental Property in Harrisburg, NC
Thinking about investing in Harrisburg, NC? Learn why it is an attractive area for investors and how to accurately set your rent. Discover how a Harrisburg property manager can be an asset in your investment business.