Frequently Asked Questions

Browse Some of Our Most Frequently Asked Owners Questions

Getting started leasing questionsLeasing showing questionsSecuring a home, signing a lease and moving inCommon leasing questions

Getting Started

Habla español?

Si necesita ayuda en español, mande un correo electronico a y un representante lo contactara.

What are the requirements to lease a home with Mynd?

Mynd does not discriminate against residents or prospective residents based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or age. Mynd does, however, require favorable credit, an unblemished criminal and previous housing background check and a monthly income 2.5 times the gross monthly rent.

What areas do you currently serve?

Mynd is currently operating in the Bay Area, Southern California, Sacramento, Washington state, Arizona, Nevada, Florida, Colorado, Texas, Oregon, North Carolina and Georgia. More markets are coming soon.

What properties do you have for rent?

We have many awesome properties for lease! Visit our listings site at to view the listings and request a self-showing.



What if I don’t have a smartphone?

A smart phone is not required to view most of our units. Send an email to and we can provide more information on how to view an available apartment. You can also call us at 833-367-6963 and we will find a solution that works for you.

How do I apply after I see the property?

To apply for the home, you can either visit, find the unit you are interested in, and click on the Apply Now button OR respond to our previous messages and let us know you want to apply. Applying online will result in faster service.

Who can answer questions after I view the property?

You may send us a message by replying to your appointment confirmation email or by sending a message to

Can I see an apartment or home more than once?

Absolutely. You can schedule multiple self-showings via

There is something wrong with the home. What do I do?

Let us know! Please email us at or call us at 833-367-6963.

What if I forgot to turn off the lights or lock the door?

Please let us know by emailing us at or by calling our support line at 833-367-6963.

What if I forgot to put the key back?

Please return to the lockbox and enter the same access code given to you to return the keys. If your code no longer works, please contact us at 833-367-6963.

Someone else is at the home during my time. What should I do?

We recommend waiting until the previous tour is complete prior to entering the home. Please contact our support line at 833-367-6963 for additional assistance, if needed.

There was no key in the lockbox. What do I do?

Please call us at 833-367-6963.

My lockbox code isn’t working. What do I do?

If you cannot access the Codebox or Rently lock and you are at the property, please contact us for support at 833-367-6963.

What do I do if I can’t find the lockbox?

If you can not locate the lockbox (either Codebox or Rently) and you are at the property, please contact us for support at 833-367-6963.

How do I use the Rently lock?

A Rently lock is an electronic lock installed directly on the door. Enter the code we provide and then press the enter button to unlock the door.

How do I use the Codebox?

A Codebox is an electronic lockbox. Simply enter the code we provide, press enter, and then press the blue Codebox label above the keypad to access the key compartment.

I want to change the time of my appointment. Who should I contact?

To change the time or date of your appointment you can send a message to or contact us at 833-367-6963.

Can I view multiple apartments in the same building if they are available?

Yes, let us know which apartments you are interested in viewing and we will confirm your appointment for each one.

Will there be anyone from Mynd at the apartment when I go to see it?

If you have scheduled a self-showing, there will not be a Mynd agent at the property.

What is a self-showing?

A self-showing allows you to view a vacant property at your convenience. We will schedule you for 1-2 hours and send you instructions to obtain keys from a lockbox located on the property. You can tour the home on your terms without anyone else in attendance. When you are finished touring, lock the property and return the keys to the lockbox. We will follow up with you after your showing to answer any questions you have or to get you set up to apply. If you have any questions, you can always message us at

Why do you need a copy of my ID?

In order to minimize risk to the community or the apartment, it is important that we know who is viewing the homes. We verify your identity when you submit a photo of your government issued identification. A driver’s license or passport with your photo, legible name, and date of birth are acceptable.

When can I view a home or apartment?

You may schedule a self-showing to view an available unit between the hours of 8:00AM to 7:00PM. To schedule a showing, please visit, select the property you’d like to see, and complete the prompts. You will need to supply a valid government-issued photo ID.

How can I schedule an appointment to see a home or apartment?

You can book a self-showing directly from We’ll need a copy of your government-issued ID. Once we’ve verified your identity, you’ll be able to schedule. See below for additional information on self-showings.


Application & Approval

Can I complete a paper application instead of doing it online?

We strongly encourage you to complete the application process online. The benefits of applying online are faster processing and the ability to pay online. All you need to apply online is an email address. We will also be happy to walk you through the process.

If you are interested in applying with a paper application, contact us at We cannot guarantee that paper applications will be processed quickly.

What paperwork is required for Guarantors?

A Guarantor must provide proof of income totalling 5X the monthly rental along with a completed Guarantor application.

How do I apply as a Guarantor for someone?

A Guarantor application along with proof of income can be submitted should an applicant be denied due to income only. A $49 application fee will apply and only one guarantor is allowed per lease.

How does using a Guarantor work?

A Guarantor is not technically a “co-signer”. A Guarantor is a qualified person who agrees to be immediately and completely responsible for rental payments if the rent payments are not made on an apartment/home by the lease-holder. A Guarantor should complete an application and be approved for the responsibility. The guarantor, once approved, will sign an addendum to the main lease. The Guarantor has no rights of access to the apartment/home. Only 1 Guarantor per household may be used. The guarantor must reside in the United States. A Guarantor may not be used if the applicant is denied due to negative credit history or denial due to criminal history.

What if I have an eviction on my record? Can I still be approved?

It is possible to be approved with a prior eviction, but every situation is unique. Unpaid prior evictions on applications are usually declined.

What if I have bad credit? Can I still be approved?

It is possible to be approved with less than perfect credit history. Credit decisions are received with “approved”, “approved with conditions” or “declined” decisions. If your application is declined, we will issue a letter that will allow the household to contact the credit reporting agency to understand why a declined decision was reached.

What kind of background check do you run on applicants?

We process rental applications through TransUnion Resident Screening. We process for both credit and criminal history, and residential evictions.

What documentation do you need to apply?

Valid government-issued photo identification & proof of income are mandatory.

The total monthly income on an application needs to meet the 2.5 times the total monthly rent requirement.

If you’re a salaried employee, please submit most recent pay stubs or bank statements (with a two-month history of regular direct deposits from your employer).

  • Applicants paid weekly – 4 most recent pay stubs
  • Applicants paid twice a month – 2 most recent pay stubs
  • Applicants paid monthly – 1 most recent pay stub

If you’re about to start a new job or have been working for less than a month, please submit your offer letter signed by an authorized company official with the company letterhead stating your start date, title and salary. This offer letter should be dated within 15 days of your rental application. Also add, HR or Supervisor contact information – their name, title, phone and email address. We will call this person to verify your employment.

If you are self-employed, please submit the most recent W2 or 1099 forms or most recent income tax return. Please also submit the most recent bank statements for the last 2 months. Name on the bank account should match the applicant’s name and the account balance on each statement needs to meet the monthly total income requirement (when combined with the rest of the income documents).

If you work based on a commission or your income varies month over month, please submit 3 months of most recent pay stubs. If less than 3 months, submit the most recent W2, 1099 or tax return from the prior year.

You can also submit documents to show additional income sources if you want these to be considered for the monthly income requirement. Such documents are copies of the court order/awards letter for Child Support or Alimony; Copy of the earnings statement/awards letter for SSI, Disability, Pension or Retirement. You must submit 2 most recent bank statements showing the amount of the deposit for any of these cases.

If you have a service or emotional support animal, you must submit a valid service / emotional support animal letter prepared by a licensed healthcare or mental health professional that includes an ESA prescription/recommendation and describes how the animal will help your condition and confirms that the animal is a vital part of your life.

I applied for one apartment, but I see there is another in the same building that I’d like to take. Can I also apply for that apartment?

Yes. Contact the person you’ve been working with to complete your application process. They will assist you with the details.

Can I use one application form to apply for multiple rental properties?

Possibly. Please note that properties you are interested in may have different qualifying criteria. If the qualifying criteria is identical, one application and associated fee is sufficient. If qualifying criteria is different between the properties, please consult our leasing support team for guidance.

Is the application fee refundable?

The application fee is non-refundable.

Can I pay my application fee with a check?

Electronic payments are the preferred method of payment.

What is the fee for someone to apply?

The fee to apply is $49 per applicant. All persons 18 years or older are required to complete an application.

How does the application process work?

A rental application must be completed by each occupant aged 18 years or older. We require proof of income along with an application fee of $49 per applicant.

The steps to apply for a home with Mynd:

  • Once all applications from all persons who will lease the home have been completed, and fees have been paid, Mynd will process the application
  • Mynd will contact you with any questions or if we require further information
  • Mynd will run a background and credit check with TransUnion to verify your information.
  • If application(s) are declined, the applicant will be notified of declined status via email.
  • If application(s) are approved, full payment of the required deposit is due ASAP in order to secure the unit. (Please note that the unit is NOT secured until we receive your deposit in full. This will take the home off the market for other approved applicants.)
  • After the deposit is received, we will create the lease agreement with all leaseholders on the lease and confirm the move-in date.
  • All residents who applied will receive a copy of the lease to sign via electronic signature on the application site.


Securing a Home, Signing a Lease, and Moving In

How do I handle the key exchange upon move-in?

A smart lockbox will be placed at the unit. A code will be generated and sent to you, allowing you to access keys to the front door on the day of move in. Any additional keys or access-related equipment (e.g. garage clicker, laundry key, etc) will be left inside your home in a place specified by your move-in representative.

What are the utilities that I have to pay and how are they paid?

Utilities may be set up in a variety of ways, depending on where you live and the wishes of the property owner. In many cases, residents will be responsible for contacting the utilities companies, transferring the bills directly to their names, and paying any associated fees. A description of the most common alternative variations appears below. In all cases, you should reference your lease for specifics.

  • Flat Rate Billing. If your utilities are set up this way, you will receive a monthly recurring charge on your ledger for the same amount each month.
  • Sub-Metered Variable Billing. If your utilities are set up this way, you will receive a monthly charge on your ledger each month that varies based on the amount of utilities cost incurred.
  • Separately Metered Utilities in the Resident’s Name. If your utilities are set up this way, you will need to contact the utilities company, set utilities up in your name, and pay the bill directly to the utilities companies each month.
  • Separately Metered Utilities in the Property Owner’s Name. If your utilities are set up this way, the property owner will pay the utilities for you, but you will be responsible for reimbursing the property owner directly. Situations may vary, but you will either need to pay Mynd (who will then pay the property owner) or (in rare circumstances) arrange to pay the property owner directly.
  • Ratio Utility Billing System (RUBS). If you live in a multi-family complex, your utilities may be RUBS-based. This means that the utilities for the entire complex will be split equally each month between all residents of the complex based on usage. RUBS-based utilities charges will appear on your ledger each month, and bill amounts will vary.

We know that utilities payments can be complicated, so please contact your leasing representative with questions.

When do I sign the lease for the apartment?

Within 2 business days of paying the deposit to reserve the apartment.

How do I secure an apartment or home?

You can secure an apartment or home by paying the deposit ASAP after receiving notice of application approval. Please note that the home will not be taken off the market until you pay your deposit. Once you’ve paid your deposit, we will send a lease agreement for review and electronic signature within 2 business days.


Common Questions

Are pets allowed?

Pets are allowed at select properties, but you may be charged an additional one-time and/or recurring fee. We typically advertise this on our listing. As per FHA guidelines, we will consider requests for service and emotional support animals with proper documentation.

Which pets are allowed?

Pets are allowed as some properties, but this varies based on each property owner’s discretion. Not all listings are classified as pet-friendly. If pets are allowed, we accept the following types of pet: Dogs: We all love dogs, but there are certain breeds which are restricted due to liability. Dogs should have no history or propensity for violent actions. The dog weight limit is generally 40 pounds unless otherwise allowed by the owner. All dogs must be on-leash in common areas of any multifamily dwelling and must also be housebroken. Restricted breeds include:

  • Akitas
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • American Staffordshire Terriers
  • Argentine Dogos
  • Bull Mastiffs
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Fila Brasileiros
  • German Shepherds
  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • Presa Canarios
  • Rottweiler
  • Staffordshire Bull Terriers
  • Tosa Inus
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • All mixes of these breeds

Cats: Cats must be indoor cats only. They must be neutered or spayed, and the resident must provide appropriate litter box and maintain it in a clean, sanitary condition. Birds: Birds must be kept in cages at all times. Fish: The water container for fish should not be over 15 gallons.

Are there additional deposits, fees, or rent associated with pets?

Yes. The additional amount that residents owe will vary by property, location, and pet type. Depending on these factors, charges may appear in the form of pet deposits, pet fees, or pet rent. Please contact your Mynd representative for details. All pet-related charges will appear in the lease.

What are the typical leasing terms?

Unless otherwise indicated in the listing, a 12-month lease agreement is standard for new leases. Shorter leases can be discussed, but are not guaranteed.

Do you have month-to-month leases?

Unless otherwise indicated in the listing, a 12-month lease agreement is standard for new leases.

How much is the security deposit for new residents?

Typically, the minimum security deposit is equal to one month’s rent for qualified applicants. Security deposits may be higher for conditionally-approved applicants, renters who require a guarantor, and residents with pets.

How many people can occupy a unit?

The number of people allowed to reside in each unit is equal to twice the number of bedrooms, plus one. For example, if you’re applying to a two-bedroom apartment, (2 beds * 2) + 1 = 5 total residents allowed.

Does Mynd require rental insurance?

We require renter’s insurance on a per property basis. Even though your property may not have required insurance, we still strongly recommend obtaining it. Our insurance policy only covers the buildings themselves, and not your personal belongings. Most car insurance providers offer you the option of renter’s insurance, which can sometimes be cheaper when combining it with your vehicle insurance.

What is pre-leasing? How does that work?

“Pre-leasing” is a process for new potential residents to apply for and pay a deposit on an apartment/home before it is available for viewing. Pre-leasing typically applies to properties that are in the process of vacating (i.e. the previous tenant is still living there). We do not show an apartment/home until it’s ready for a new resident to move-in. The advantage to pre-leasing a property is it allows you to secure an apartment/home before anyone else has a chance to do so. Photos of the apartment may be provided before the unit is ready for move-in. That said, if the home is not yet ready, photos of a similar home in the complex might temporarily be posted. If the posted photos are not of the actual apartment, this will be disclosed in our listing. Either way, the tour is not available until the Mynd team has inspected and approved the apartment/home for move-in. The steps to pre-lease are simple and the same for available properties.

  1. A leasing representative will let you know the date that the property is expected to be available and you can discuss your move-in time frame with them.
  2. Complete an application and pay application fees.
  3. If approved, we will notify you and require a deposit to hold the property.
  4. We will send you a lease to sign after your deposit is received.

If you decide not to move forward with your move-in, a prorated portion of your security deposit will be held. If you’re interested in an apartment that is available for pre-leasing, let your leasing representative know.


Are you looking for property management?

Fill in the form and get a free consultation...

Thank you!

We received your information and will be contacting you shortly.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.