Real Estate Investing in Atlanta, GA
Last Modified on 10/16/2020
Why Invest in Atlanta Real Estate?
Boasting both a robust GDP and the world’s busiest airport—Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International—Atlanta is a major player when it comes to U.S. economies.
Named as one of the U.S.’s top 10 economies by city, this deep South metropolis is also home to major corporate conglomerates, including:
- Coca Cola
- Turner Broadcasting
- Home Depot
- Delta Airlines
Neighborhoods with Immediate Cash Flow
Other factors combine to make Atlanta a Georgia city ripe for investing. Its sprawling metro includes assets in suburban locations with immediate cash flow; the city also features neighborhoods with relatively easy access to major thoroughfares and school districts (these typically meet the criteria of buyers seeking immediate returns). Investors with a longer time horizon can acquire urban core properties that tend to appreciate even more quickly.
#1 Ranked Airport in the World
Atlanta is home to the busiest and #1 ranked airport in the world, four Global Fortune 500 companies and 14 Fortune 500 companies. The metro has the lowest costs of transportation for services and manufacturing sectors out of the largest U.S. metros, strengthening distribution in the area. There is a projection of 1.5 million new jobs to be created by 2040. Atlanta-based Invesco will add 500 new jobs to the city when it completes its $70 million expansion in Midtown in 2022.
Atlanta is predicted to add 2.9 million residents by 2050, pushing the population to 8.6 million. As the metro keeps up with this population growth, the city is constructing a 22-mile long Beltline Transit Loop. The first phase, at the Westside Pavilion Park, was completed in 2019, with the entire project’s expected completion in 2022. The city is said to net $10–$15 billion dollars for the project.
Atlanta Real Estate Market Highlights
- Expected to have 1.5 million job openings by 2040
- Regional population will increase 25% by 2030, gaining 1.4 million residents
- A $10–$15 billion in economic growth from the 22-mile Atlanta Beltline Transit Loop (completion in 2022)
- 14 companies ranked in the 2018 Fortune 500; 4 in the Global Fortune 500
- Ranked #13 in Forbes’ Best Places for Business and Careers
- #6 best college city among cities with more than 300,000 people (WalletHub)
- Lowest cost of doing business out of all primary U.S. metros – 18% lower corporate tax burden
- Home to the NFL Atlanta Falcons $1.5-billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Northwest Atlanta Real Estate Market Highlights
Cobb County, containing Marietta City, is the ninth best school district in Atlanta. However, the northwest is known more for activities such as sports, camping, and whitewater rafting. With the Mercedes-Benz Stadium and Georgia Tech, investing in the northwest remains promising.
- Mercedes-Benz Stadium, home to the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons
- Georgia Institute of Technology - public research university, ranked #5 best public university and #4 most innovative school by U.S. News & World Report
- College Football Hall of Fame - 1 mile from Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- Georgia Aquarium - one of the world’s largest aquariums, located in downtown Atlanta
- Atlanta Memorial Park - playgrounds, golf, and tennis
- Six Flags Over Georgia
- Six Flags White Water
- State Farm Arena - home to the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks and a popular downtown concert venue
- SunTrust Park, home to the MLB’s Atlanta Braves
Northeast Atlanta Real Estate Market Highlights
The northeast has fantastic schools and great entertainment. According to Niche, the top 3 best school districts are in the northeast.
Ranked in the #1 and #2 spots, are Buford City and Forsyth County, respectively. Both of these districts lie outside the 285 perimeter.
The third best school district is within the 285 perimeter. However, living in Decatur City is also more expensive than both Buford and Forsyth because it’s closer to downtown Atlanta.
A popular place to invest is in Gwinnet County, which falls 10th on the list of best school districts in Atlanta.
- Emory University - ranked 21st in National Universities
- Georgia State University - D1 research school in downtown
- Fox Theatre - performance arts center located in downtown
- Ameris Bank Amphitheatre - events and concerts, located in Alpharetta
- Atlanta Botanical Garden - in the heart of midtown on 30 acres
- Stone Mountain Park - scenic park 20 miles from downtown, includes golf and lodging
- Mall of Georgia
- Lenox Square
Southwest Atlanta Real Estate Market Highlights
The southwest is home to the 4th best school district in Atlanta: Fayette County.
Aside from the school district, the southwest is home to Atlanta’s airport: Atlanta International Airport is the busiest airport in the world.
- Turner Field - home to Georgia State University’s football team
- Cellairis Amphitheater at Lakewood - concert venue located 5 miles from downtown
Southeast Atlanta Real Estate Market Highlights
The southeast has hot properties downtown, such as Reynolds town, Grant Park, and West End. But more importantly, Clayton County is located in the southeast. Clayton County is ranked 1st in single-family rental returns in 2017.
- Zoo Atlanta - 1,000+ animals, downtown Atlanta
- Clayton County International Park - 200 acres for swimming, fishing, biking off of the I-75
- Southlake Mall in Morrow
- Atlanta Motor Speedway - NASCAR and local racing, 25 miles south of downtown Atlanta
- Georgia State University
- Clayton State University
- Georgia International Horse Park
Our team has vast knowledge and experience in local Atlanta property management and can help you to have a better investment experience. We educate on topics in the area ranging from landlord tips, repairs and maintenance, leasing, how to choose the best property management company, and investor advice!
We look forward to furthering your rental property education.
Real Estate Investing in Houston, TX
Why invest in Houston? Population growth, high education levels, and great hospitals make it a great opportunity.
Why Should I Purchase a Rental Property in Harrisburg, NC
Thinking about investing in Harrisburg, NC? Learn why it is an attractive area for investors and how to accurately set your rent. Discover how a Harrisburg property manager can be an asset in your investment business.